Sunday, December 3, 2006

Text Messaging Pinoy Style

The Philippines is the text messaging capital of the world. Nokia is synonymous to lumpia and adobo.

I once overheard two security bag checkers in Landmark casually comparing pixels, for heaven’s sake. Filipinos are way ahead of other cell phone users in the world. The cigarette vendor will easily pass for tech support in the States.

Any phone from abroad can be “open-lined” by our Pinoy “techies.” Cell phones (or handsets, as they call it abroad), chargers are literally available in the middle of the streets

During the last typhoon, weather advisories from well-meaning friends inundated me, on the intensity of typhoon Reming. I was so scared that on bended knees, I prayed to God that I will reform my evil ways. It was a good thing I did not forward it to other friends. Otherwise, the church would have been overflowing. Which is a good thing.

One day, I received a text message saying my sim card was picked in their Nov.5 raffle, “You just won 650,000 pesos- from the Millionaires Club, call me this is SEC. EDGARDO LAGUESMA. I replied, “thank you, can you donate that to my favorite charity, the Asthma Foundation, this is General Polvoron.

Why do Filipinos say, “punta na me,” or “here na me.” “Punta na ko” would be just as short, same number of letters.

The first time I received “gud am” in the morning, I thought my friend was cursing me.

My brother hates “k,” he says, “it only takes another touch of the letter “o” and it would be more polite. I personally think it comes across as dismissive and curt. My friends say, “you’ll get used to it.” I learned later that it meant finito, end of talk, bye
Now I know what an American friend of mine who teaches English in call centers meant. She said Filipinos speak a certain type of English that only they understand. Remember the elevator joke, “bababa ba?”. It sounds like “rap” to foreigners.

Do you know that you can pay for food at those stations, referred to as “jollijeeps,” by simply texting? Go to C. Palanca St.,in Legazpi Village, Makati and look for the one near the Cebu Pacific office.

Believe it or not, by simply texting, I even heard of someone who transacts drugs from someone in jail. Apparently, the drug is delivered by a relative upon receiving instructions by text. That’s really “high” tech.

One day, I got hold of Erap’s number, so he being a close friend of my father, and being a former President, I felt a text would be out of line.
I decided to call him. Lo and behold, he actually answered his cellphone, at around ten in the morning, from Tanay. (I supposed that’s where he is, or should be) I was so surprised to actually hear his voice after seven years, so I vaguely and awkwardly introduced myself. In his deep subdued morning-after-voice he just matter-of-factly replied, “hijo, I’ve been in jail for the last five years, I have no money.” I was speechless, I just murmured something vague and we both hung up. Anyway, that number is “no longer attended to” and the last time I tried, it said “call failed.” Oh well, I just wanted to pay my respects since he stood as my godfather when I got married. Poor guy must get a lot of solicitations.

Incidentally, the foreign press once referred to the text brigade as the culprit technology that ousted Erap.