Sunday, December 3, 2006

Confessions of an Asthmatic

A lot of people cannot imagine what its like to have asthma. I'm writing this so that they may understand. If you have an asthmatic child, spouse, or friend, please read this.

When I get bad attacks of asthma, I’m confined to my air-conditioned room (only when I'm in Manila). It's a time I feel so deprived of strength and vigor. I can't even lie down in a reclining position because i can't breathe. At times just going to the bathroom leaves me gasping for breath.

I always have my inhaler wherever I go. Up to now, I’m still embarrassed and self-conscious whenever I take a puff, so I do it in private. What's amazing though is the moment I board a plane my asthma disappears. The quality of air in Manila must be that bad. In fact, I didn't even get it four years ago in Fresno, California, the most polluted place in America.

Although asthma is my cross to bear, it was the reason I won a silver medal in swimming. My fear of breathing gave me a psychological edge. I swam the 25-meter race in record time.

My advantage in water, also keeps me grounded. I have to rely on my siblings, nurse, maid or my partner, during my attacks. I have to be confined in an air-conditioned room and cared for. Asthma makes me realize how vulnerable I am, it gives me a sense of mortality. When I'm sick, gasping for air, I pray to the Lord, and it makes me realize how important health is, above all.

Unlike other asthmatics, I seem to thrive better in very cold weather.

I would never wish asthma on anyone. Thank God my only child, did not get it. Whenever I would be in the Emergency Room, gasping for air, I pity the children who cannot even articulate how they feel. Although, there are people , like my brother, who acquired it when he was a teenager already. Most asthma medications give me palpitations or headaches. It’s very hard to explain this illness to someone who doesn’t have it.

One day I would be playing tennis or swimming, and the next day I can’t even cross the street. Exercise is the best way to ward off asthma. Asthmatics should find a partner who is familiar with the symptoms and treatment of it. During my bad attacks, I know I can be quite a pain in the butt.


There are new drugs in the market, but the prices, even in the States are very prohibitive. One wonder drug I discovered, called Advair cost $100 and that will only last two weeks. That is for my maintenance. There are two types of asthma medications: Reliever and Controller medications. Controllers are steroids inhalers that work by making the airways less sensitive to triggers. These have to be taken regularly to be effective. Relievers are medications to treat acute episodes of wheezing. Inhaled medications such as salbutamol (Ventolin) are used to relax the airway muscles and relieve wheezing. especially in cases of an acute asthma attack. Allergy testing is recommended to improve treatment, but its a bitch. It's a painful and arduous process with needles. Some people die after finding out they're allergic to chocolates.

During my most recent attack, I discovered a new trick from my sister, who is also asthmatic. She taught me how to use the nebulizer and steroids. She gave me some ventolin and budecort solution for nebulizing. She told me to mix it, 1:1 ratio. I used this single dose mixture for my nebulizer every three hours. This was supplemented by five ten-milligram tablets of prednisone, (about four pesos each). The next day, I tapered it to four ten milligrams, then three, then two. The results were amazing. I felt immediate relief. My tightly pressed chest felt so much better. It loosened my phlegm, like burping from too much gas. It also allowed me to finally lie down and sleep.

Most people with asthma do very well when treated with appropriate medications, however, attacks of wheezing can be life threatening if not treated properly. When I have a bad attack, I can’t talk and I’m hunched over because I can't breathe. I have a gadget called a peak flow meter that measures breathing power. I blow into it, and it measures the air I exhale. I do this three times. If the number goes up, it means the wheezing is decreasing and my asthma is improving.
As much as possible, I only eat fish and vegetables. I find staying up late lowers my resistance. My asthma is triggered by dust, smoke, pollutants and heat. Unfortunately, I’m often forced to take the public transportation in Manila. In temperate countries, I'm okay, but in Manila, its a bitch. Even short walks around Makati’s Business district, tires me, but in cold places like New York, I could walk for miles.

By the way, my confession? Low impact sex is possible and great, with the right partner. Just make sure you have a nebulizer handy.