Thursday, November 16, 2006

Imelda's New York trial

Imelda was always on time...after a while, the marshalls and even the courthouse maintenance people were eating out of her hands...one even gave her flowers. I think she fainted three times, I even followed her to the hospital once with the Inquirer correspondent, my cousin Cristina Luz. Imelda had very long black, thick hair, when I saw her in the hospital. One day i bumped into her co-defendant, Adnan Kashoggi  in the men's room. and imitating the Blacks who recognize him in the subway, I said, "Yo, can I borrow a million bucks?" He just smiled. After every trial, arms dealer billionnaire Adnan Kashoggi would take the subway to the Waldorf-Astoria. In stark contrast, Imelda would arrive in a limousine and they would enjoy an afternoon tea.

Bonget Marcos hated their first lawyer, Spence. His loud western court antics rubbed off negatively, especially with the black-suited-white shirt clad New York lawyers. I think the judge didn't like him too. Later on the Marcoses would be represented by Kashoggi's lawyer.

When Rolly Gapud testified, half the jury was asleep, or falling asleep, or sadly just couldn't comprehend the international scope and magnitude of the Marcos financial picture being presented to them. I think this case was Guiliani's claim to fame as New York's District Attorney, well before his competent handling of the 9/11.

I recall Greggy Araneta in tears, when Imelda was acquitted on her birthday. Bonget fell in love with Lisa Araneta during the trial.

Jessica Hagedorn's best-selling novel "Dog-eaters" was released, and the New York Post had a daily front page picture of Imelda's "shoe- for- the-day".


more later....

No comments: